Enterprise Web Content Management Systems
|Adobe CQ5||Expression Engine||Drupal||SDL Tridion|
What is Enterprise Web Content Management?
The Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM) defines Enterprise Content Management (ECM) as:
The strategies, methods and tools used to capture, manage, store, preserve, and deliver content and documents related to organizational processes. ECM tools and strategies allow the management of an organization’s unstructured information, wherever that information exists.
Certainly true, but what does that mean in non-techno speak? Why do organizations invest in this space?
- Brand protection & alignment
- Organization that is highly decentralized
- Companies or lines of business with extensive product/service offerings
- Industry segments that require significant reuse of content
- Strong need for workflow and to deliver/codify business processes and approval loops
- Need to deliver content to multiple channels and devices
Enterprise Content Management Systems (ECMS) also provide organizations with a unified technology platform/framework that allows for leveraging their on-going investments in terms of templates, plug-ins/add-ons, developer and content author expertise.